Monday, September 29, 2008

Rebecca's First ER visit.

I spent the early part of Friday evening with Rebecca in the Emergency Room.  Earlier in the evening our neighbors came and asked us to go for a walk.  Since it had been raining all day long and we were feeling very claustrophobic, I welcomed the idea with umbrellas and rain boots.  We made it down into the culdasac.  We found a puddle that no one could pass up.  Emma and Audrey were standing on the curb and counting to three and then jumping into the puddle.  Of course, there is Rebecca standing and watching every move and decided that she too, could manipulate jumping off the curb and landing the puddle.  Well, she overestimated her gross motor skills and landed in the puddle while landing on her hands.  Everything was fine.  She cried a little and then was ok.  After both my daughters decided to sit in the puddles, we thought that the caravan should move along down the street.  We were walking along and Rebecca tripped.  I went to grab her arm to catch her and instead (are you ready??)  dislocated her arm.  Her arm immediately went limp and would not use it or squeeze anything.  My neighbor convinced me to call the doctor.  I came home and called the doctor, but upon not getting a call back decided I was going to take her to the ER.  Being in the neighborhood we are in, I knew I could call any of them and they would have been happy to take Emma.  Amy and Chad, the parents of Emma's best friend in the whole wide world were not only gracious enough to take her, but also fed her dinner and let her stay and play for a while despite Brian getting home from work.  Emma's most memorable moment from her dinner with Audrey was the "giant" cookie she had for dessert and the fact that she dunked it in milk.  We are so blessed to live where we live and have such great people in our lives.  Rebecca did such a great job in the ER.  The hardest part was the x-rays.  They had to twist her arm to get the pictures they needed.  Fortunately I was able to hold her, but I never want to hear her cry like that again.  We had a great doctor who came in, asked questions, and then gently took her arm and massaged it.  Apparently while doing this he popped everything back into place.  He very calmly said, "And there it is back where it should be."  Rebecca immediately started using her arm again and a few minutes later we had our happy little girl back.  She even said thank you to the doctor before we left.  The doctor reassured me that this is a very frequent injury in children from 1-4 years of age.  If something has to happen to your child, this was a good experience to have.  She was taken good care of and the immediate relief she felt was enough for her to thank the doctor.

No comments: