Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The past month and the various and sundry happenings

The past month has really passed by quickly.  With school and swim lessons and gym class and play dates, time seems to be flying by.  This entry is just going to be some random happenings over the past month.

Rebecca is certainly settling in to being 2.  She is potty training (on her terms and timeline) and I am hopeful that Santa will be able to bring her underpants and then we can give our diapers and pull-ups to Chloe (Rebecca's request).  Chloe is a 2 1/2 month old friend who lives across the street from us.  She is really going to be needing these size 5 pull-ups soon, but I figure if that is what it takes to get her into underpants, then Chloe it is:)

Now that Emma is in school, Rebecca is very much enjoying our one on one time with each other.  Four mornings a week she and I get to do so many things together.  For example, laundry, cooking, playing outside, trying to learn our letters and numbers by sight (Carter needs to come help her out), going to the library, and all sorts of fun stuff that we can do with each other.  A true gift for many reasons because it allows us to bond a little more and allows me to work with her through her frustrations on a level that doesn't involve biting, hitting or throwing.  That is a goal I have for us this school year, because hopefully next fall we will be sending her to preschool.  I am really trying to slow down and let the household stuff be put on hold so I can enjoy these moments with her.  All too soon, Mommy isn't going to be cool to play with anymore and that day will certainly be a sad one for me.  So, the cooking doesn't get finished in the morning or the laundry doesn't get folded.  It is ok and I am learning to accept that.  I won't get this time back with my little girl.

She has certainly been saying some things that just make me laugh.  

Walking in to the gymnasium at the YMCA for her gym class: 
R: " Mommy, you can go home.  I don't need you here in my gym class."
M: "That's ok Rebecca.  I signed up for this class too.  I'll do my exercises while you do yours."

Hanging from the monkey bars at a neighbors house:
R: "Mommy.  I don't need you." 
M:  "I know you don't but it is in the Mommy's handbook that I have to stay close by when a 2 1/2 year old is hanging from a set of monkey bars."

She is definitely exerting her independence and I am enjoying her doing so.  She is a brave little girl with very little fear.  

Emma has also been doing lots of things so far this school year.  She started on September 14th which was at least a week and a half later than her elementary school friends.  I heard a lot of "When is it my turn to go to school?"  Her teacher this year is very different, personality-wise, than last year.  She is very soft spoken, but as of this writing, Emma is coming home from school happy and learning things.  I may not hear about it on the way home, but as she processes through her day little snippets come out.  I will hear her singing a new song or saying something that her teacher talked about.  She will tell me about music class and gym class.  It is a great lesson for her to learn early.  Every teacher is going to be different, but every teacher is going to teach you lots of things.  It is Emma's job to adapt and go with it.  So far so good.

Something I am trying this year, as opposed to last year, is more play dates with friends from school.  She and her sister are at a point in their relationship where Rebecca wants to do EVERYTHING that Emma is doing and frankly, Emma gets sick and tired of little sister constantly being under her feet.  So, I figure if I can arrange play dates with her school friends, it will give her someone else to play with so that when she gets home, she may actually be happy to see her little sister.  It is working so far.  We will have to see if we can all keep it up.

Emma and Rebecca do have many happy moments together and one that comes to mind is when we were driving down the road listening to a CD from Emma's vacation bible school this summer.  The theme was Crocodile Dock.  They were listening to a song called, "Do Not Be Afraid."  As the songs ends Emma looks over at her sister and says, "Remember Rebecca, if you are ever afraid, just talk to God because he is listening."  It is in these moments that I stop and take a deep breath and say a thank you prayer to God, that Brian and I must be doing something right, but that it is not without the mighty power and influence of our God.  Maybe I should take some of my daughter's advice.

So, all in all it has been a good month and as I reflect on all of it I realize, yet again, how blessed I am with the husband and children God has given me.  HE IS GOOD!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Karen,
1. I love hearing about all the things you are doing with the girls. It's helping me to think about little goals I can work toward with the kids. LITTLE goals, LOL, that's all I can even comprehend right now :)
2. If it helps, tell Rebecca that Chloe is anxious to get those pull-ups :) maybe she'll get excited about bringing them over...
3. I'll send Carter over to help with letters if you send Rebecca over to help w/ using the potty!! (The kid has no interest ...)
4. Thank goodness that God helps us get through each day and parent our kids. I feel more and more needy of His help every day!!

nateandkatesmom said...

It is great to stop and reflect on the ways your children grow and develop and all the new fun things....(and challenges) that go with it! Enjoy this one on one time you are getting with Rebecca. You will get to enjoy that again with Emma when Rebecca is in preschool. I'm sad that next year mine will both be in school all day and one on one time with each of them will be rare.

You were blessed with great kids and you and Brian are doing a great job raising them!