Monday, September 6, 2010

Painting Rebecca's Room

I have been making lists of house projects that I would like to accomplish. All of them seem to include a new coat of paint. The first one we have decided to conquer is Rebecca's room. We are saving our pennies to buy her a "Big Girl" bed in April. However, along with the new bed, I wanted to change the paint on her walls. With wrestling season taking up the entire winter, I figured I would take advantage of Brian being around to paint her room. The other reason for doing it now is that we are actually not traveling on this three day Labor Day weekend.

So Saturday morning we unloaded Rebecca's room. We sold Rebecca on the idea by telling her she could have a sleep over in Emma's room. Then she started taking everything she could to Emma's room. The two of them spent quite a while setting up camp. Brian and I finished moving the small stuff and pushed the dresser to the middle of the room.

By Saturday night the walls were finished. Then Sunday morning came and I saw the walls in daylight and realized that the finish on the walls was too flat. Every time someone touched a wall, the fingerprints showed up. Off to Lowe's to buy the satin finish. And not one word of complaint from my wonderful husband who had to roll in on the walls. I found some curtains online Saturday night and found out that they were shipped out Sunday.

Our neighbor's church has Kids Club once a month and the girls love going. While they were gone, Brian and I were able to finish the border and all of the trim. Thanks Kelly and Norm! We told Rebecca she was going to have another sleepover Sunday night because of the new coat of paint.

Today, on Labor Day, Brian and I switched the girls' dressers to give Rebecca some more room and to give Emma her dresser back. Of course that was so much more than just moving two pieces of furniture. Since we were switching rooms, I had to empty the drawers. Since I was emptying the drawers, I decided to switch clothing from summer to winter and new sizes, as necessary. That required Brian and the girls getting up in our attic to bring the Fall/Winter clothing down. Since he was already up in the attic, I asked him to bring down the clothes that our neighbor could use for her daughter. I also brought down clothes that could go to a good friend. Then I filled up two huge garbage bags of 12 month clothing to go to GoodWill.

Oh yeah, we were just switching dressers, right? Needless to say, the project that was started Saturday morning was finished at 6pm Monday night. I am completely exhausted and drowning in laundry, but am so thankful for all of Brian and the girls' help. Without Brian's help, I would still be pushing the dresser to the middle of Rebecca's room. Without my daughters' patience and understanding, we would never have completed this project. Thank you Brian, Emma and Rebecca.

Brian is going back to work tomorrow for some relaxing:) Considering he knew nothing about this until Friday night, he really hung in there and I appreciate each and every minute he helped.

Enjoy the before and after pictures below.






1 comment:

nateandkatesmom said...

It sure is a huge change. How great that you accomplished that and more in one weekend!