As I write this entry, I am so thankful that God successfully helped Emma (and me for that matter) through this day. Emma started Kindergarten and that is such a huge milestone in this house. So many things will change from here on out. We are bound by the school calendar for the next 13 years.
Today I expected that Emma would be up super early and super stressed out all morning long awaiting the 12:10 walk to the dreaded school bus stop. But, in actuality she slept in until almost 8:30. As she was getting dressed she asked if she could wear her diamond cross that she received on her baptism day from her Godfather. I told her sure and asked her why she wanted to wear it. Her answer was that if she got nervous she could hold it and know that God would take care of her. Once she said this, I knew it was going to be a great day. We had a leisurely morning with a trip to the grocery store and a few crafts before we had to eat at our new early lunch time.
We were so lucky that Brian could work from home this morning so that he could see Emma onto the school bus. He was very quiet this morning as he too was dealing with our little girl getting on the school bus.
Lunch time came and went and we proceeded outside to take a few pictures before getting to the bus stop. I think, although nervous, she was very excited about going to school. She was finally going to experience what so many of her neighborhood friends already knew.
When that bus pulled up there was no hesitation about getting on the bus. Brian and I gave her quick hugs and she never looked back. I am so thankful that God gave her the strength to climb those three really big steps onto the bus.
The rest of the afternoon was very busy. I planned this on purpose so Rebecca and I wouldn't be sitting around feeling sad that Emma wasn't here. So, we made chocolate chip cookies for her surprise treat after school. Rebecca and I made her an "I love you Emma" sign which she held up as the bus came to drop Emma off. I folded 4 loads of laundry and then spent some time downloading some pictures off of my camera. Rebecca went upstairs for some quiet time, which quickly turned into a nap.
When we got to the bus stop, the bus was about 20 minutes late. It was HOT at the bus stop. Some of it was because it was 90+ degrees out, but some of it was the nerves of a Mommy who couldn't wait to see her little girl.
As the bus approached, Rebecca proudly held up her sign. Emma got off the bus with a huge smile and said the bus ride was awesome and asked if she could do it again. To which I responded, "How about for the next 6 years?" She wasn't quite sure what to do with that answer.
So, it was a wonderful day filled with many emotions from all of us. At the end of the day we can all breathe a deep sigh of relief and thank God for guiding us all through another beginning in our lives.
2 comments:
I'm so glad Emma and all of the kids had a great first day! I knew she would do great! I totally knew what you were going through. ((sigh)) Why must they grow up so fast?!
sniff, sniff. What a big girl! And to think she was an itty-bitty infant when we moved here ... I especially like how she knew having the cross with her would be something to give her peace. How mature of her! :) Love you Emma XO
Post a Comment