Tuesday, February 3, 2009

In the mind of a 3 year old

So, I am in my kitchen this morning putting the breakfast dishes in the dishwasher.  No unusual sounds coming from the living room.  Nothing to make me stop what I am doing.  I come out after finishing that task and what do I see but two kids playing nicely on the floor together.  Then I glance up at the TV to see what the kids were laughing at and there is some "artwork" on the flat screen TV.  My first thought was how in the world did Rebecca get up there to get those lines all the way across the screen.  My second thought was there is no way she could have done that.  So I turn off the TV to see what the damage is and ask Emma what happened.  She very innocently says, "I colored the TV with a crayon."  I said, "YOU DID WHAT!!!"  It never entered my mind that the 3 year old would do such a thing.  The conversation really went no where.  She has no idea why she colored the screen and when asked what we are supposed to color on she very correctly stated paper.
Needless to say, someone is not going to watch any more TV today.  Should make dinner preparation lots of fun around here.  Maybe it will be a mac-n-cheese night since that is about as quick and easy as one can make.
You can't make this stuff up.  As my father in law always says, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."  I am not sure if that applies to me or to Emma in this case.  The jury is still out on that one.

1 comment:

Charlene said...

What I have found in the past is that they actually think sometimes that they're doing something good or creative. Usually, once they are told that it is wrong and then they are punished, they'll think twice about doing it again. I have to keep telling myself that they've only been around for two, three, four . . . years. And, I've also decided to keep the craft items and crayons downstairs now. :) I've learned my lesson the hard way with the marks on my walls, floors, T.V., rug, white kitchen cabinets, furniture . . . They only come up when they ask properly and they stay on the kitchen table with lots of protection on the table and floor. :) Although, sometimes they magically apprear upstairs. lol! Hang in there!