Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas through the eyes of a child.

This entry was written on Christmas Eve, but I never published it because I thought I was going to add Christmas day to it, but I will publish this one and then another about Christmas itself as soon as I can.

This year has been a fantastic Christmas season, mainly because I have been watching it through the eyes of a 3 1/2 year old.  Emma totally understands the meaning of Christmas and the birth of Jesus.  The 4 manger scenes have certainly gotten well used this season.  Of course, she also understands Santa too.  I am just going to mention a few things that I recall her talking about this Christmas, because the innocence of a child is a gift to all of us.

Tonight I had to sing the late service at church, so before I left I sat down with Emma to write a note to Santa.  She asked for a Snow White movie and also that Mommy and Daddy get presents.  We went outside to sprinkle reindeer food on the lawn and Rebecca stood in one place and surrounded her little feet with the oatmeal.  Emma on the other hand went to each brick around the front garden and the rock in the middle to be sure that all of them would get some food.  We gave Santa cookies on a princess plate since that is her favorite one and she thought he would like it too.

Brian put the girls to bed and he said that no more than two minutes after closing Emma's door he heard little footsteps coming downstairs at which point she declared that, "Daddy you have to go to bed or else Santa won't bring you presents."  Oh the innocence we wish we could all maintain throughout our lives.

May these things help to remind us that it is, indeed the little things that are said throughout the day that make our children who they are.  They are all precious gifts to us and as we sit in our warm homes tomorrow and watch the magic in their eyes may we always remember it long after the season is over.

2 comments:

nateandkatesmom said...

Isn't it the best! I look forward every year to the magic and excitement Christmas brings to the kids. It will be so sad when they outgrow it. Just think, the next couple of Christmas' Rebecca will add to the excitement in your household as she eagerly awaits Christmas with Emma.

Amy said...

Yay! Another post from Karen :) Doesn't Christmas seem like a lifetime ago now? Anyhow, many of my friends have older children, and describe how the kids aren't into all the cute little traditions anymore ... reminds me that I need to soak up all these moments when these little things are so important to them (and before they are too cool for all that baby stuff!) It's sweet that Emma was thinking of you and Brian getting presents too :)